Expectations dated at t and at t-1

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Expectations dated at t and at t-1

Postby pburriel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 am

Does Dynare solve non-linear rational expectations models with expectations dated at t and at t-1?

example:

y(t) = a*E(t)y(t+1)+b*E(t-1)y(t)+c*x(t)+e(t)

Where y is the endogenous variable, x is exogenous, e is an error term and E(t-j)y(t+i) is the expectation based on the information at t-j of the variable y(t+i).

If so, how should I enter the term E(t-1)y(t)? Can I do it through a change of variable like

s(t)=E(t)y(t+1)

Thanks.
pburriel

Postby MichelJuillard » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:18 am

Yes, that is the way to do it. Then, you use s(t-1) for E(t-1)y(t)

Best,

Michel
MichelJuillard

Does Dynare expresse E(t-j)x(t)

Postby Catherine » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:38 am

hello Michel

MichelJuillard wrote:Yes, that is the way to do it. Then, you use s(t-1) for E(t-1)y(t)

Best,

Michel

Does Dynare solve non-linear expectations models with the variable for the current period that have been set in the past.

y(t)=summation E(t-j)x(t) (y , x are endogenous variables)
j=0: infinity

I can't expresse and simplify the above equation because of the variable for the current period that have been set in the past . :oops:

please~ help me.

Best Regards

catherine
Catherine

Postby MichelJuillard » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:55 pm

This requires some a longer explanation. I'm traveling at the moment and will answer in about 10 days

regards

Michel
MichelJuillard

Re: Does Dynare expresse E(t-j)x(t)

Postby admin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Catherine wrote:
Does Dynare solve non-linear expectations models with the variable for the current period that have been set in the past.

y(t)=summation E(t-j)x(t) (y , x are endogenous variables)
j=0: infinity

I can't expresse and simplify the above equation because of the variable for the current period that have been set in the past . :oops:

Sorry, for the delay in answering. In fact, Dynare can't handle exactly that infinite sum over expectation set at an infinity of dates in the past. The only way I know of attacking the problem is to truncate the summation and express each term separately:
E(t-1)x(t)+E(t-2)x(t)+...+E(t-k)x(t)
if we only take into consideration the expectations formed over the k previous periods.

You can always check whether taking k+1 periods change a lot the results

Kind regards

Michel
admin

Return to Dynare help