JPT 2010

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

JPT 2010

Postby binhpham » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi all,

Could any one explain me why in the JPT 2010 "Investment shocks and business cycles" the authors set up the model comprises of two blocks equilibrium conditions as noted in page 12 of technical appendix. That is they derive a system of 16 equations and said that "...together with the 15 equations describing the evolution of the economy with flexible prices, flexible wages and no markup shocks,...". The whole system have 31 endogenous variables: [...yhat, yhatstar, Lhat, Lhatstar,...].

The model is straight forward but I do not understand why they do so :!:

For your reference I attach the paper and appdx.

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
[JPT 2010] Investment shocks and business cycles.pdf
(310.5 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
[JPT 2010] Investment shocks and business cycles (Appendix).pdf
(409.25 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
binhpham

Re: JPT 2010

Postby jpfeifer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Because of the monetary policy rule. The central bank reacts to the to deviations of actual output from the natural or flex-price output. The only way to compute the latter is to solve the full flex-price economy as well. Smets/Wouters (2007) do exactly the same thing. In case you are trying to replicate the paper, please send me an email.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Re: JPT 2010

Postby binhpham » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Thank you for your guidelines Prof Johannes. I am trying...
All the best,
binhpham

Return to Dynare help