How to fix a wrong Historical Shock decomposition ?

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

How to fix a wrong Historical Shock decomposition ?

Postby streetjax » Sat May 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello Johannes! :)
I am trying to estimate the model of Iacoviello and Neri (2010), but I find the historical shock decomposition very bizarre. Basically, what the graphics show a very thick and symmetric (up and down) historical shock decomposition. Besides, on some variables, the graph shows a trend; which is estrange because the trends for these observables were specified in the model.
I am attaching a word document with all the relevant graphs, as well as the dataset and the model file. If you can take a look at it and give me some suggestions, I will be very much obliged.
Thank you in advance.
Yours cordially,
S.T.
Attachments
Files.zip
(434.58 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
streetjax

Re: How to fix a wrong Historical Shock decomposition ?

Postby jpfeifer » Mon May 15, 2017 9:20 pm

This looks very much like a problem in mode-finding. Your "mode" is stuck at the boundary of the parameter space. That in particular means that the parameters determining the trend are not correctly estimated. In that case, there will be a part of the trend left in the data. That is what you observe in the shock_decomposition. You should try different mode-finders (try 5 for a change). Have you made sure that your observation equation does not only capture the slope of the trend, but also the intercept, i.e. the constant?
Also, have you verified all parameters are identified? Lastly, could it be that some of your data still suffers from seasonality patterns?
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Re: How to fix a wrong Historical Shock decomposition ?

Postby streetjax » Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am

Hello Again Johannes,
Thank you very much for your insightful suggestions.
I will test them and I will tell you how did they go.
Yours cordially,
ST
streetjax

Return to Dynare help