IR to a negative shock

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

IR to a negative shock

Postby nakov » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:29 am

Hi,
is it possible to plot the response to a negative 1 standard deviation shock? How?
Anton
nakov

Re: IR to a negative shock

Postby StephaneAdjemian » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:51 am

Hi,

Yes it's possible. You just have to define an auxiliary variable. For instance, if epsilon is your exogenous variable, you can create an endogenous variable EPSILON such that EPSILON = -epsilon.

With an approximation at order one, the response to a negative shock is minus the response to a positive shock.

Best,
Stéphane.

nakov wrote:Hi,
is it possible to plot the response to a negative 1 standard deviation shock? How?
Anton
StephaneAdjemian

Postby nakov » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi, thanks,
I was referring to 2nd order approximation in which responses to shocks can be asymmetric. But I guess a similar trick may be applied - the shock process can be redefined such that the innovation enters with a minus sign. In that case a positive 1 standard deviation of the innovation would be like a negative shock, am I right?
nakov

Postby MichelJuillard » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Yes, that is the idea

Best

Michel
MichelJuillard

Postby nakov » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Thanks a lot!
Anton

MichelJuillard wrote:Yes, that is the idea

Best

Michel