question about Bayesian simulation

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

question about Bayesian simulation

Postby uvcindy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Dear all:
I am trying to do the Bayesian estimation for my model, I simulate for 100,000 times and from the results, I got the posterior mean and etc. But is there any way I can get the whole series of the draws?
I might need the whole distribution of the parameters.
thanks for your help

Cindy
uvcindy

Postby MichelJuillard » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Dear Cindy,

the Metropolis parameters draws are stored in the *mh*.mat files. In that files, matrix x2 contains the parameters draws as rows.
The order is as follows:
1) stderr of exogenous shocks
2) stderr of measurement errors if any
3) correlation of exogenous shocks if any
4) correlation of measurement errors if any
5) model coefficients

Inside each category, parameters are ordered in the declaration order in the estimated_params block

As it is supposed to be with Metropolis iterations, parameters values are repeated when the algorithm decides not to jump

Best wishes

Michel
MichelJuillard

thanks

Postby uvcindy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:10 pm

thanks for the fast response.
uvcindy

Postby arnedam » Thu May 25, 2006 1:44 pm

MichelJuillard wrote:
the Metropolis parameters draws are stored in the *mh*.mat files. In that files, matrix x2 contains the parameters draws as rows.

... snip ...

As it is supposed to be with Metropolis iterations, parameters values are repeated when the algorithm decides not to jump

How are the parallel chains organised in the sequence of <name>_mhXXX.mat files? Since the burnin sections should all be in the first part of the mat files, the chains cannot be ordered only in sequence, I should think.
arnedam

Postby StephaneAdjemian » Thu May 25, 2006 2:47 pm

arnedam wrote:
MichelJuillard wrote:

... snip ...

How are the parallel chains organised in the sequence of <name>_mhXXX.mat files? Since the burnin sections should all be in the first part of the mat files, the chains cannot be ordered only in sequence, I should think.

The different chains are stored into different files. If you look inside the folder of your mod file after the bayesian estimation you will find files like:

<NAME_OF_YOUR_MOD_FILE>_mhX_blckY.mat

where Y = 1,2 (by default we run two parallel chains) gives the chain number.

St
StephaneAdjemian

Postby arnedam » Fri May 26, 2006 8:49 am

StephaneAdjemian wrote:The different chains are stored into different files. If you look inside the folder of your mod file after the bayesian estimation you will find files like:

<NAME_OF_YOUR_MOD_FILE>_mhX_blckY.mat

where Y = 1,2 (by default we run two parallel chains) gives the chain number.

Got it, thanks. Turns out we were running only one block which caused my confusion.
arnedam

Return to Dynare help