Estimation - Steady State calculation

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Estimation - Steady State calculation

Postby mricci » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello everybody,

I attach below the .mod file relative to a model I am currently trying to estimate.
The model is provided to Dynare in its Non-linear version and, therefore, the solution of the steady state is required for the estimation (and simulation).

I set out the .mod file so as an external matlab function is called in the ''Calibration block'' (e.g right before ''Model block''): this function takes as
input the parameters of the model and returns steady state solution for each variable (I attach it below).
Finally, using the 'Initval' block, I set the SS values for each variables found above.

As far as model simulation is involved this codes works fine.
Now, my question is: does this arrangement work for the estimation as well or do I necessarily need to rely on a 'Steady_State_Model' block?

Thanks for your time,

Mattia
Attachments
steady_state_solver.m
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Test.mod
(23.56 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
mricci

Re: Estimation - Steady State calculation

Postby jpfeifer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:02 pm

If you are able to compute the exact steady state, I would always write a proper steady state file for estimation. It assures better speed and that no draws are discarded just because Dynare did not find the steady state. But your file is different. You must use a steady state file. The reason is that your file features parameter dependence. Some parameter of the model change depending on the value of other parameters in order to satisfy calibration targets. Only a steady state file assures that this parameter dependence is satisfied.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Return to Dynare help