forecasts

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

forecasts

Postby nymph » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

Dear all,

I am trying to replicate the results (table 3) in Smets and Wouters (2007) by using 'forecast' in dynare. However, I have two questions:

1. when dynare do the forecast for periods, say 12 quarter, it estimates the parameters from the in-sample data, and then make the forecasts recursively by using the forecasts from the previous periods?
2. Smets and Wouters (2007) take the observables by using ln(X_t/X_t-1)*100, but interest rate is divided by 4. I am wondering, why do we need to multiply 100? As dynare would do loglinearization, so variables are supposed to be ln(X/X_ss). Are they also reported in %, so the numbers are multiplied by 100? Would it make difference in estimation and forecasts if we don't multiply the observables by 100?

Thank you so much for any reply.

Nymph
nymph

Return to Dynare help