accelerating Dynare, up to 10x, with SilverBullet

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

accelerating Dynare, up to 10x, with SilverBullet

Postby SamuelHurtado » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Hello everybody

First of all, thanks a lot to the creators of Dynare: it is a truly amazing tool

Then, my contribution: I think I've found a pretty straightforward way to accelerate the estimation of big DSGE models using Dynare

It reduces the use of global variables, just like dynare 4 is trying to do, but through a much simpler approach (it shouldn't take more than a few hours to add this trick to dynare 3)

For a model with 84 equations and 102 global parameters, it is reducing estimation time by a factor of nearly 10 (from 22.3 hours to 2.3 hours)

See the pdf for an explanation of the process, and the xls for a macro that does the trick automatically
(you need to be logged in to see these)
Attachments
SilverBullet.xls
(49.5 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
AcceleratingDynareWithSilverBullet.pdf
(112.46 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Last edited by SamuelHurtado on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuelHurtado

Postby MichelJuillard » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks I will look at it. Efforts should be now devoted to accelerate version 4.

Best

Michel
MichelJuillard

Return to Dynare contributions and examples