Bayesian Estimation - Dornbusch Model

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Re: Bayesian Estimation - Dornbusch Model

Postby felipe.klein » Tue May 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Sorry, I am sending it again. I realized I had to make another correction to the data (next post attached). s, the exchange rate, needed to be expressed as a monthly rate of change and now the results make a bit more sense. I would highly appreciate if you could run it and let me know your suggestions, cause I am not 100% sure how I should interpret these forecasts. Thanks very much,

Felipe
Attachments
thesis.mod
(954 Bytes) Downloaded 155 times
felipe.klein

Postby felipe.klein » Tue May 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Here is the data file "datos" to run the mod. file "thesis". Data is the monthly change of the exchange rate, in logs. I would highly appreciate if anyone could run it and let me know their impressions and how I should interpret the forecast for the next 24 periods.
Thanks very much,

Felipe
Attachments
datos.xls
(19 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
felipe.klein

Postby jpfeifer » Wed May 21, 2014 8:25 am

Let me clarify my point. Your model variables are in logs and you have done the arbitrary normalization that the steady state of the log nominal exchange rate is 1. Now you have to match this model to the data where the nominal exchange rate is not in logs and its log has not mean 1. The best way is to specify an observation equation that gets rid of the different means (as described in Listing 7 of Pfeifer "A Guide to Specifying Observation Equations for the Estimation of DSGE Models")

That is, you demean the log empirical exchange rate in the Excel file by just subtracting the mean. Then you use an observation equation of the form
Code: Select all
s-steady_state(s)  = s_obs;

telling the model that the observed log exchange rate is one where the mean has been subtracted.

This formulation also should make forecasting easier, because your forecasts are then for the percentage deviation of the exchange rate from its sample mean.

I add a running version.
Attachments
thesis.mod
(982 Bytes) Downloaded 168 times
dornbuschdata.xls
(31.5 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Postby felipe.klein » Thu May 22, 2014 5:12 am

Johannes, thanks so much, it's very clear now. But, unfortunately, I was not able to run the model.

Matlab goes through the same process again and again showing always the same option...

"Choose one of the following options:

[1] Consider all the endogenous variables.
[2] Consider all the observed endogenous variables.
[3] Stop Dynare and change the mod file.

options [default is 1] = "
felipe.klein

Postby jpfeifer » Thu May 22, 2014 5:14 am

Try Dynare 4.4.2. With the Excel file containing more than 1 series it should run now. The error you describe usually happens when people give the data-file the same name as the mod-file.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Postby felipe.klein » Thu May 22, 2014 6:28 am

Great, now it's working! I will analyse the results and let you know if I have further doubts. Again, thanks very much!
felipe.klein

Previous

Return to Dynare contributions and examples