Calculation of the elasticity of labour offer

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Calculation of the elasticity of labour offer

Postby camara_cmb » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Hello

Im working with a very basic RBC model in my Advance Macro class. It s a typical problem of a social planner choosing consumption levels and hours of work for identical houses, a cobb douglas production function with a TFP shock, and a government expenditure shock.
The assingment is to calculate the elasticity of the labour offer with different forms of utility functions in terms of the log-linealized aproximation of the steady state. I have a specific calibration of some of the parameters, and some free parameters to be calculate. I know how to get the FCO of the level of consumption and of the hours of work, but from that point on, I dont know how to calculate the elasiticity.
Any comment or example will be more than welcomed!
Thank you
camara_cmb

Re: Calculation of the elasticity of labour offer

Postby jpfeifer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:54 am

You need to be more precise. The elasticity of what with respect to what? If you are talking about the Frisch elasticity, see Domeij/Floden (2006) - The labor-supply elasticity and borrowing constraints
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Re: Calculation of the elasticity of labour offer

Postby usamovnaurbi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:15 am

Elasticity is a means of measuring responsiveness. Look out the relative change in employment level for a relative change in the wage:

Elasticity of Labor Demand = % change in employment / % change in wage

If the wage goes up, employment will go down (all else constant.) If the wage goes down, employment will go up (all else constant.)
usamovnaurbi

Return to Dynare contributions and examples