Help with differentiate_forward_vars

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Help with differentiate_forward_vars

Postby bcpn » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi everyone!

I am trying to implement the differentiate_forward_vars (or differentiate_forward_variables) and I am facing two problems:

1) The preprocessor does not seem to know the differentiate_forward_vars model option. I am using Dynare 4.3.3 and simply writing model(differentiate_forward_vars); As a result, I don't know what is happening or how to solve this problem...

2) As this first approach is not working for now, I tried to implement this approach by hand. I replace my forward jumping variables from X(+1) to X+D_X with D_X = DYN*(X(+1)-X)=(1-DYN)*NULL, where DYN=1 is a parameter and NULL an exogenous variable. With this transformation, I am able to simulate permanent shocks (say markup shocks) by changing the concerned parameter (here MARKUP) to a endogenous unit root equation: MARKUP = MARKUP(-1)+E_MARKUP and shocking E_MARKUP in the first period.

I understand the Terminal Condition in Differences approach and the purpose of this transformation to obtain a terminal condition only in terms of differentiated forward variables equal to 0 at the steady state (allowing for an easy implementation of a Newton-Raphson algorithm on the time-stacked model). However, I am not sure to fully understand how this concretely works in Dynare.

First, from what I understand, for this approach to be viable, the simulation horizon needs to be big enough for the zero terminal condition hypothesis to be verified?

Second, how do we tell Dynare (or does it do it automatically), that this is the appropriate terminal condition?

So far i am writing something like that, specifying no endval condition.

Code: Select all
model;
  MYTRANSFORMEDMODEL...
  MARKUP = MARKUP(-1)+E_MARKUP
end;

initval;
  A PROPER INITVAL
end;

steady;
check;

shocks;
  var E_MARKUP_FR;
  periods 1;
  values -0.1;
 end;

simul(periods=500);

Thank you very much for your help!

Benoît.
bcpn

Re: Help with differentiate_forward_vars

Postby jpfeifer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:10 am

The differentiate_forward_vars has only been implemented in Dynare 4.4. It cannot be used in 4.3.3
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Return to Dynare contributions and examples