Backing out shocks from an estimated DSGE model

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Backing out shocks from an estimated DSGE model

Postby parantap » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi, Can anybody please help me with a naive question? I have a DSGE model with five shocks. i use 5 observables with a sample period of 40 and estimate my model with the standard Bayesian routine. I want to recover these five shocks using my estimated model? In fact, when I run such a programme, I get a simulated series of 5 smoothed shocks. I guess that these are the recovered shocks but the period horizon for these smoothed shocks is not the same as the sample period that I have. For example, I have a sample periiod of 40 which means I have 40 observations. However, i get 136 smoothed shocks. Shouldn't I get also 40 smoothed shock corresponding to my sample period? How does dynare create 136 smoothed shocks? Manual does not sayanything about it.

Thanks in advance foryour help.

Parantap Basu
parantap

Re: Backing out shocks from an estimated DSGE model

Postby jpfeifer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:36 pm

There must be something wrong with your mod-file and/or data. The number of periods should coincide with the length of the smoothed shocks.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Re: Backing out shocks from an estimated DSGE model

Postby parantap » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Yes. I figured this out. Thank you.
parantap

Return to Dynare contributions and examples