Deterministic simulation replicating reverse shooting

As Dynare 4 is now the main version, this forum is now closed. Please, post
on the Dynare Help forum
Forum rules
As Dynare 4 is the current Dynare version, there forum is now close. Post new question in the Dynare Help Forum.

Deterministic simulation replicating reverse shooting

Postby jan.strasky » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 pm

I am trying to replicate the results from a simulation of a model with Tobin's q described in the attached working paper by Herbert and Stemp.

They consider a model with capital stock, external debt, and Tobin's q, that moves from a steady state with real interest rate r=0.03 to a new steady state with r=0.05.

They calculate the two steady states, both of course with q=1, and calculate using reverse shooting that initially, Tobin's q must jump from 1 to 0.7872 (in a non-linear model) or to 0.5785 (linearised version) to put the model on a stable arm (Table 1 on p.14).

I tried to replicate their results using deterministic simulation in Dynare. Using Homotopy, I was able to reproduce the two steady states and use them as initval and endval conditions. The initial jump in q is, however, much smaller, to 0.9766. (I attach the mod file).

Is there something I did wrong? Is there some difference between solving for teh jump in q and what the command simul does in Dynare?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jan.strasky

Return to Dynare version 4