Some Non Technical Questions - Stationarity & Steady States

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Some Non Technical Questions - Stationarity & Steady States

Postby danishussalam » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Dear All,

I am working on my Master's thesis and would be very grateful if someone can answer these non-technical questions for me.

1) In dynare user guide chapter 6, there is a solved example Schorfhoide (2000). The equilibrium conditions of the model were non stationary so both the model variables and observed variables were either de-trended or were used in levels to make them stationary.

Usually academic papers now present stationary symmetric equilibrium conditions in the appendix. So for instance if I undertake a replication exercise of any such paper, I will write only those stationary symmetric equilibrium conditions in dynare right? without the need of using de-trending or any other method for making variables stationary?

2) Authors these days also present a steady state section in which they explicitly define steady state equations. Are these the same equations that I am suppose to write when I make an external MATLAB program to calculate exact steady state?

3) When authors say "the group of parameters that are calibrated" they are basically referring to the estimation exercise of models right? either by Bayesian or MLE.
danishussalam

Re: Some Non Technical Questions - Stationarity & Steady Sta

Postby jpfeifer » Tue May 06, 2014 2:30 pm

------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Return to Dynare User Guide