How do I NOT use unit_root_vars?

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

How do I NOT use unit_root_vars?

Postby reluginbuhl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:11 pm

The current documentation about unit_root_vars claims that this command is not longer required. But if I exclude it from my mod file I get this error message:

??? Error using ==> initial_estimation_checks at 92
The seadystate values returned by fs2000ns_steadystate.m don't solve the static model!

Error in ==> dynare_estimation_1 at 334
initial_estimation_checks(xparam1,gend,data,data_index,number_of_observations,no_more_missing_observations);

Error in ==> dynare_estimation at 62
dynare_estimation_1(var_list,varargin{:});

Error in ==> fs2000ns at 150
dynare_estimation(var_list_);

Error in ==> dynare at 132
evalin('base',fname) ;

With unit_root_vars in the mod file the program runs fine. I do not understand why the documentation says that unit_root_vars is no longer needed.

Thank you for the help.
Attachments
fsdat.m
simulated data
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
fs2000ns_steadystate.m
The steady state file
(1007 Bytes) Downloaded 115 times
fs2000ns.mod
This is the Dynare model code
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
reluginbuhl

Re: How do I NOT use unit_root_vars?

Postby StephaneAdjemian » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:31 am

Hi,

The documentation is wrong, thanks for reporting this inconsistency. The documentation says that this command is no longer required because in the kalman filter routines we transform the (reduced form) transition matrix T and reorder the eigenvalues so that we are able to identify automatically the non stationary linear combinations of endogenous variables. But we still need to use this command for the steady state. Dynare needs to know which are the unit root variables and won't test the steady state declared in the *_steadystate.m file for these variables (because if you have a drift in a unit root variable, ie if y_t = a + y_{t-1} + e_t, there is no steady state. The practice is to give any value for the steady state level of y and dynare won't check the steady state for this variable if y is declared as a unit root variable).

The doc will be corrected in the coming bug-fix release.

Best,
Stéphane.
Stéphane Adjemian
Université du Maine, GAINS and DynareTeam
https://stepan.adjemian.eu
StephaneAdjemian

Return to Dynare help