Steady State File

This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location where you will have to reset your password.
Forum rules
This forum is closed. You can read the posts but cannot write. We have migrated the forum to a new location (https://forum.dynare.org) where you will have to reset your password.

Steady State File

Postby sp1589 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the steady state file.

So, I have a loglinearized model with steady state expressions obviously entering the linearized equations. I have written a script using fsolve to find the steady state variables in my system, which I then manually input into my dynare file. I have a bunch of robustness checks that I have to implement and I want to automate this process by writing a steady state file. I am slightly confused however how this is supposed to work. I saw the nk_model example in the dynare folder, but I am still not clear on how I should implement this. I essentially only changed the model specific part of that file, however I think I am not completely understanding how this file is supposed to work.

What I want to do is simple. I have to pin down 7 variables from a system of 7 equations. Right now, I have a separate script that does this, but I want to automate that by creating a steady state file that dynare can read. Is there a sample code that does this (even simpler than the NK_model steady state example.) For some reason, I cannot replicate that code using my model specifics.

Thank you
sp1589

Re: Steady State File

Postby sesser » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:20 am

Attached you will find a log-linearized version of a standard RBC model with a corresponding steady state file. Note that the code snippet in the Matlab file where the steady state values are passed to your mod file needs to be slightly adjusted:

Code: Select all
NumberOfEndogenousVariables = M_.endo_nbr;                    % Number of endogenous variables.
ys = zeros(NumberOfEndogenousVariables,1);                    % Initialization of ys (steady state).
for i = 1:NumberOfEndogenousVariables                         % Loop...
  %varname = deblank(M_.endo_names(i,:));                      %    Get the name of endogenous variable i.                     
  %eval(['ys(' int2str(i) ') = ' varname ';']);
  ys(i)=0;%    Get the steady state value of this variable.
end     

Within your steady state file, you can also employ Matlab's fsolve and call your external file which computes your steady state variables.
Attachments
rbc_steadystate.m
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
rbc.mod
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
sesser

Postby AbrahamVela » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:17 am

Hi:

I think it is posible to do what you want (I think I have seen it in some codes, unfortunately I do not remember which ones), as exemplified by "sesser".
I am not pretending to be rude, but I must ask why you want to do that!
The steady state file is automatically created by Dynare and it reports the steady state values after doing that.
And those values are the ones Dynare uses in the rest of your exercise.
Perhaps I misunderstood your question.
Good luck.
Abe
AbrahamVela

Postby jpfeifer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:17 am

I also do not understand what you mean. The NK_baseline_steady_state.m provides you with the necessary structure in the header and footer and indicates where you can put your own equations. You simply have to modify these equations in between to your liking. There is no example for this, because it is model-specific.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/
jpfeifer

Postby sp1589 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Thank you for all of your replies. To be more specific, do I have to make any changes to the header and the footer when creating my steady state file or the way they have been written (as provided for instance in the NK_baseline_steadystate file) provide the general structure necessary for the mod file to read the steady state values provided in the model specific block. I am asking this because I get an error in the last line of the footer:

eval(['ys(' int2str(ii) ') = ' varname ';']);

I am not quite sure why the endogenous variables in my model cannot be read. Here is a simple example code at what I am doing. Assume these are all of the steady state values in my model. Given this, should something in this code be modified in order for this to run?

function [ys,check] = sep_steadystate(ys,exo)
global M_
NumberOfParameters = M_.param_nbr;
for ii = 1:NumberOfParameters
  paramname = deblank(M_.param_names(ii,:));
  eval([ paramname ' = M_.params(' int2str(ii) ');']);
end
% initialize indicator
check = 0;
%Model Specific Block
Iss=0.267;
Xss=0.194;
mcss=1.312;
lambda_I_C=0.42;
Yss=0.915;
wss=3.215;
Css=0.64;

% End of the steady state model block

for iter = 1:length(M_.params) %update parameters set in the file
  eval([ 'M_.params(' num2str(iter) ') = ' M_.param_names(iter,:) ';' ])
end

NumberOfEndogenousVariables = M_.orig_endo_nbr; %auxiliary variables are set automatically
for ii = 1:NumberOfEndogenousVariables
  varname = deblank(M_.endo_names(ii,:));
end

Thanks
sp1589

Postby jpfeifer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Even if you use a log-linearized model the footer of the steady_state-file assumes that all endogenous variables have been set. Therefore, you have two choices.
1. You set each variable to 0 in the file, e.g.
yhat=0

2. You replace the loop
NumberOfEndogenousVariables = M_.orig_endo_nbr; %auxiliary variables are set automatically
for ii = 1:NumberOfEndogenousVariables
  varname = deblank(M_.endo_names(ii,:));
end

by
NumberOfEndogenousVariables = ;                    % Number of endogenous variables.
ys = zeros(M_.endo_nbr,1);                    % Initialization of ys (steady state).

so that
ys
is set to 0
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
jpfeifer

Postby dynare16 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am

Hi,

there is also something that I don't understand about the steady state file. In Dynare manual, the steady state file is presented as an alternative to solving the model with an external Maple file by solving the model directly into Matlab. However, because all equations have to be input sequentially, with all endogenous variables being defined as functions of parameters and already known endogenous variables at their steady state, it seems to me that using a steady state file exactly amounts to solving for the steady state by hand, right ?
dynare16

Postby jpfeifer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Not exactly, although this is the most common application. Often the model can be boiled down to a small set of equations that can be solved by a solver (as in the NK_baseline.mod). Once this is done, you can easily compute everything else. The alternative is just solving the steady state by brute force, i.e. trying a solver on all equations simultaneously, which is what Dynare tries by default when there is no steady state file or steady_state_model-block. See Remark 15 (initval vs. steady_state_model vs. steadystate-file)
in Pfeifer(2013): "A Guide to Specifying Observation Equations for the Estimation of DSGE Models" at https://sites.google.com/site/pfeiferecon/Pfeifer_2013_Observation_Equations.pdf.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
jpfeifer

Postby dynare16 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:22 am

Thank you for your answer.

When Dynare -by default- solves for the steady state directly with a non-linear solver and the residuals are not zero in some of the equations when checking with the resid command, this means that Dynare fails to find the steady state, right ? (even if the model runs anyway and no warning message appears).
dynare16

Postby jpfeifer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:24 pm

This is behavior that should not happen. Do you have an example?
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
jpfeifer

Postby dynare16 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:18 am

Here is an example. Residuals are small but still. I encountered cases in which there were residuals for almost all equations and it was still running. Is it simply that when residuals are small, it is ok ?

Thanks a lot !
Last edited by dynare16 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dynare16

Postby jpfeifer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 am

Residuals smaller than
options_.dynatol.f

are taken as 0. That criterion is usually 1e-5. Anything bigger should result in an error. If you encounter bigger residuals and this still happens in the current unstable version, please report this.
------------
Johannes Pfeifer
University of Cologne
jpfeifer

Postby dynare16 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 am

Ok, thank you very much !
dynare16

Return to Dynare help